Blogger’s Quilt Festival: The Braddock Road Quilt

IMG_5058
I love the Blogger’s Quilt Festival, hosted by Amy Ellis from Amy’s Creative Side, and usually participate.  This year, I’m entering Braddock Road, a quilt I designed and made for the July/August 2014 issue of Quiltmaker Magazine. I enjoyed working with Quiltmaker and Robert Kaufman, who sent me the Kona solids for the quilt, as well as Widescreen fabric by Carolyn Friedlander for the back of the quilt. The fabric is 108′ wide, comes in 6 colors, and is just awesome! I love not having to piece quilt backs.  My good friend Cindy Luby quilted it for me with a square meander, which you can see pretty well in the picture below.
IMG_5060
My first entry was actually 5 years ago (!!!), at the end of  a difficult pregnancy, 3 weeks before my daughter was born.  Sounds eerily familiar to this year, except I must have been feeling better, because I have done exactly 4 hours of sewing since March.  I’m thrilled to mention that my days of being sick (pregnant with hyperemesis) are almost at an end; in two weeks we will be able to meet this baby girl! And then my days of exhaustion will commence. My sister and mom helped me go through all of my daughter’s old clothing, organized them, and washed the itty bitty items over the last two weeks. I’m finally starting to get excited to meet this little girl.
IMG_5057
Back to the quilt.  This quilt is graphic, easy to piece, and fun to make. There are lots of opportunities to play around with the quilting, as well. If all goes as planned, I will release it as a stand alone pattern here, along with several others which are in the works, sometime in 2015. See, I’m giving myself a lot of leeway here, with the new baby and all. Moda remade the quilt in Christmas fabric (Solstice by Kate Spain), which was a fun spin on the pattern. This quilt is a great size (68” x 76”) and saw a lot of time on my daughter’s “bed” this summer (the couch in our rented downtown loft).
IMG_5070
We took these pictures in August at a waterfall down the way from Multnomah Falls. Oregon is a beautiful place, and I’ve enjoyed watching my family explore from the sidelines (and have gotten to explore a bit myself, from time to time). Looking forward to more of this in my future.
AmysCreativeSide.com
Thanks for stopping by, and enjoy the Blogger’s Quilt Festival! (I entered this quilt in the Original Design category).
This entry was posted in Quilts, Sewing + Friends and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted October 25, 2014 at 8:35 am | Permalink

Great quilt. Would be a really great quilt to highlight some big prints in the center of those three sections. Yep…the extra wide screen fabric is fantastic!:)

2. Posted October 25, 2014 at 9:42 am | Permalink

I am totally in love with this quilt and wish you the best of luck with the new baby

3. Karen
    Posted October 25, 2014 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Katie, it’s a beautiful quilt, and you really got this beginner’s attention when you said “easy to make”! Now sit back and relax before life gets even more exciting!

4. Jamie
    Posted October 25, 2014 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Very pretty and graphic, Katie! I just ordered two yards of the widescreen and another wide backing with script writing. Can’t beat the ease of not piecing the backing. Glad to hear you will be feeling much relief soon!

5. kaholly
    Posted October 25, 2014 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

Your entry is absolutely gorgeous. I love the quilting on it so very much.

6. Posted October 25, 2014 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

I so love your quilt! And how wonderful that soon you will have that baby in your arms, not in your tummy.

7. Posted October 29, 2014 at 10:39 am | Permalink

Beautiful work- I love the colors and the large scale of the design. Good luck with your new baby girl!

8. Posted October 30, 2014 at 3:29 am | Permalink

Great bold pattern. I love how the quilting accent the pattern. Good luck with the final two weeks of waiting. What joy it must be for you :)

9. Amylouwho
    Posted November 3, 2014 at 6:44 am | Permalink

I drove down Braddock road almost every day as a kid! Great name for a quilt too!!

Posted November 6, 2014 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

I decided I hated naming quilts and was just going to use place names. Now I don’t know a. if i will ever quilt again b. if i will name them after dc area roads or portland or what! miss you.

10. Posted November 5, 2014 at 2:15 am | Permalink

such a fantastic quilt! love the colours you chose.

Posted November 6, 2014 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much! It’s fun to work with favorite colors (most) of the time!