Family // Favorite Things

IMG_8732

With any luck, our little family of 4 will become a family of 5 sometime today. I’m excited and nervous (and writing this the week before, don’t worry. I’m not blogging from the hospital). We are so happy to be at the end of this pregnancy journey–everyone has definitely grown and suffered and been stretched and hopefully become better versions of ourselves. At least, these three have. I’m not sure about me.  (Ugh. Hyperemesis).

This picture was taken mid-October on my son’s baptism day. 8 is the exciting age for baptism for members of the LDS Church, and I doubt there has ever been a happier, more enthusiastic 8 year old in all the land. We sometimes laugh (but are mostly serious) that if we make it to heaven, it will be because of him. He is kind and thoughtful and enthusiastic and serious, and can run and jump and hoot and holler with the best of them. He has read more bedtime stories to his sister, and helped keep her engaged in activities so I can rest, more times than I can count. He has had to grow up a lot, and I’m so grateful for him.

She has been my little buddy for months and months. She makes me laugh and makes me cry and doesn’t pull punches when talking about how my body has changed! Last week she said, “Man. Aren’t you lucky to have me as an all the time buddy? What if it was just you and baby? Crying baby? You would have no one to talk to all day.” So true. She is confident and carefree, smart and tenacious, always has a project going with paper and tape and glue, and has a softer side that surprises me sometimes.

My husband has been a rock. It hasn’t been particularly easy for any of us. I love him. And we are both looking forward to many happy, vomit-free days in our future.

I’ve had so much help. My mom has lived with us for months at a time, being mom and grandma, and doing so with ease. Each of my sisters has come to take care of me and the kids at least once. I’ve received so many texts, notes, prayers, and love from family members and friends all over. (And did you see the beautiful quilt I got last week?)

Thank you, everyone.  Thanks for being patient with me, everyone, and for reading this post that is much more mommy-blog-appropriate than I normally post.  And as a bonus–no more countdown posts on Facebook/Instagram. Happy November 7!

This entry was posted in Favorite Things. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted November 7, 2014 at 4:13 am | Permalink

congratulations and goodluck with your little one!! I have been following your blog for a while..and I never realised you were LDS too!!
    Im 99 days away from my due date and I cant wait to see a picture of your little one!

2. Posted November 7, 2014 at 5:34 am | Permalink

Katie, I have been reading your blog for a year, but never commented. I, too, had hyperemesis and it is NOT fun. You almost feel like you’d rather die— just stop living—- than endure it. BUT, now I just sent my oldest off on her mission and I am weepy because time went too fast! I know everyone says enjoy every moment, enjoy every season. It’s true! Time will fly and you will actually look with fondness on those days lying on the couch, staring at the ceiling, feeling so nauseated you can’t even breathe. Hang in there!!!!

3. Posted November 7, 2014 at 7:54 am | Permalink

Ah…lucky number 7!:) Vomit free days…what more can you ask for since you already have a great family!:)

4. Valerie Reynolds
    Posted November 7, 2014 at 8:34 am | Permalink

Congrats!!! (I was sick both my preganancies….so glad you too had so much help) Will look forward to fututre posts of your new arrival.

5. Posted November 7, 2014 at 8:52 am | Permalink

Congrats & good luck! Here’s hoping to vomit free days from here on out!

6. Posted November 7, 2014 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Keeping you in my thoughts today! I hope all goes well!

7. Kathy D.
    Posted November 7, 2014 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Best of luck to you . Your family is beautiful.

8. Karen
    Posted November 7, 2014 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

You have such a remarkable, caring team surrounding you with love! After 9 months of misery, this delivery ought to be a breeze. Love to all 5 of you!

9. Denise Boyle
    Posted November 7, 2014 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

I’m a long-time “lurker” on your blog, but wanted to send my congratulations to you and your family on your new baby. I suffered from Hyperemesis with my 2nd child, but as soon as she was born, it disappeared like magic. These are tough times, but knowing there is an end ( and such a happy outcome) can really help.

10. Elizabeth Bolton
    Posted November 7, 2014 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Thinking of you today as you deliver the newest jewel into your lovely family. Warmest wishes to you all.

11. Posted November 7, 2014 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Cannot wait for the news! CONGRATULATIONS!

12. kaholly
    Posted November 7, 2014 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Oh, I have goosebumps!! Looking forward to your next post!! Your daughter is a cutie!

13. Posted November 7, 2014 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

Katie, I can’t wait to see that new baby. Best wishes for an easy transition becoming a family of 5.

14. Posted November 7, 2014 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

Ahh I’ll be thinking of you…..so exciting! Can’t wait to see pictures! -Al

15. Mary
    Posted November 10, 2014 at 12:42 am | Permalink

What a lovely photo. I hope all went well and you’re cuddling with the new little one or taking a nap.

16. Posted November 12, 2014 at 2:39 am | Permalink

congrats! hope all went well!