Cotton and Steel Baby Quilt // Works in Progress

cotton and steel baby quilt 1

Happy New Year! It’s still January, so I feel very comfortable still saying that.  The last few months have been a whirlwind of holidays, baby, skiing for the big kids, baby, long walks, baby, sewing, baby, a bit of cooking, a lot of eating, and baby. Its been beautiful and wonderful and frustrating and happy and exhausting and good. Throughout 2014, I hung onto the hope that 2015 would be peaceful and uneventful.  It has been that, but it has also been uncertain. I’m not sure what exactly the future holds for me.  I of course want to do All. The. Things, and of course I can’t. If I figure it out, I’ll be sure to let you know.

IMG_2081

I have had a great time making this quilt, using a Cotton + Steel Basics jelly roll and a yard of the white cross fabrics. I have actually sewn quite a few things over the past few months, usually in 15 minute increments. One day I wash or iron fabric.  I cut on another day, sew a bit a few days later, press a few days later for a half hour, etc.  This quilt has been nothing like that–once I decided on the layout, I completed it in a day or two! And yes, my house is a disaster now.

Cotton and Steel baby quilt 2

It started out as a simple strip quilt for my soon-to-be-born niece (hurray!), and morphed into a version of the Travel Quilt from Liesl Gibson’s  Oliver + S Little Things to Sew: 20 Classic Accessories and Toys for Children

This is a “bucket list” quilt for me, I have wanted to make it since the book came out (2011). I’m glad my sister-in-law loves stripes! Hopefully I will share the finished quilt next week!

cotton and steel baby quilt 3

My dining room has very yellow light. The white and cream colors in last picture are more true to life than the other photos.

amazon affiliate link included in post (which is where I bought the book)

This entry was posted in Works In Progress and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted January 28, 2015 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

Liesl’s book is great – I’ve made everything from it except the quilt and scarf. Some things I’ve made many times and all are very popular with little people. Have you tried any others?

Posted January 28, 2015 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

I haven’t made anything else–what is your favorite thing?? I’ve literally thought about buying it 30 times, so I decided to finally do it! I want to make the baby doll carrier, and bucket hat. My mil made my daughter the tutu and it is just beautiful!

2. Posted January 28, 2015 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Any little progress is rewarding! And this is just lovely! I have jelly rolls that I don’t know what to do with. Thanks for the idea!

Posted February 6, 2015 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

Thanks! I thought this was a great idea for a jelly roll. Her pattern calls for 2″ strips, so I just switched it up again.

3. Karen
    Posted January 28, 2015 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Very cool quilt, Katie! I love the “overlap” piece in each pair of stripes–really sets it all off. And that selection of whites is such a subtle attention grabber!

Posted February 6, 2015 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

Thanks! I wasn’t sure if the different whites would be cool or weird, but my sister-in-law liked the quilt, so, success!

4. Posted January 28, 2015 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

That patterns is lovely! And now I really want a Q+S basics jelly roll. They’re definitely my faves from those lines. Genius!

Posted February 6, 2015 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

I bought mine on super sale somewhere just after Christmas. It was definitely a good purchase! Happy sewing.

5. laura
    Posted January 28, 2015 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

This is gorgeous! Nice work!

6. bmcarson
    Posted January 29, 2015 at 10:02 am | Permalink

I love this one!!

7. Posted January 29, 2015 at 11:45 am | Permalink

This looks really awesome in Cotton+Steel! I love it!

8. Posted January 29, 2015 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Love this quilt. (The bucket hat is one of my favorite baby shower gifts).

Posted February 6, 2015 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

I can’t wait to make it! It is such an adorable hat. Thanks for saying hi. Happy sewing.

9. Posted January 31, 2015 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

Very nice. I really like the design and the prints that you used.

Posted February 6, 2015 at 8:37 pm | Permalink