Triangle Quilts // Favorite Things

Coral blue low volume triangle quilt

My mother-in-law came to visit in January, and it was so great to spend time with her. We called her the Ellie whisperer. Ellie was super fussy for a few weeks before she came (always in the ergo or in someone’s arms) and by the time she left, she had mellowed into a happy, calm baby. If that isn’t a gift, I don’t know what is.

IMG_1440

Jane and I visited Fabric Depot one day to pick out fabrics for a quilt for my new niece, and while we were there, I got to pick out fabric for a quilt for Ellie too! I loved the Carolyn Friedlander Doe print and the pretty Cloud 9 botanic print (Arcadia–Herb Garden) especially! (4th from left and 6th from left). Both quilts have coral fabric and triangles, and they couldn’t look more different!

I’ve said it 10 times, I’ll say it again. Portland is a mecca for great fabric stores. If you are in the area, Fabric Depot isn’t to be missed. It has everything. For reals.  We came home, I grabbed some old favorites from my stash, and we started cutting.

IMG_1559

Tip of the Day: If you set your design wall up over a heater vent, and the heater comes on, all of blocks will be blown off!

We worked on it together and got the top sewed up. She took it home, quilted it, and bound it. Don’t you love the pop of blue with the binding??? I need to try that technique sometime.

FullSizeRender_1

And happy babies make pretty quilts even better, don’t you think? FullSizeRender

This entry was posted in Favorite Things, Quilts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. peggy.vickrey@gmail.com
    Posted February 13, 2015 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

Gorgeous child and quilt! Blessings to all of your family from a first-time grandmother…Peggy

2. Posted February 13, 2015 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

Ah how cute! Love those twinkly eyes. Oh, and the quilt is lovely too.

3. Chris
    Posted February 14, 2015 at 12:06 am | Permalink

Adorable baby! Love the quilt colors!

4. Mary
    Posted February 14, 2015 at 1:21 am | Permalink

I don’t know how you get anything done. I know I’d spend all day just smiling at Ellie and when she napped I’d just stare at her sweetness. It’s a good thing you put her picture on the quilt at the end of your post as otherwise I wouldn’t have read the post. Very nice mother-in-law and a lovely quilt made with love.

5. Posted February 14, 2015 at 7:30 am | Permalink

I’ve been to Fabric Depot once, and was completely overwhelmed! Neat place. The quilt is beautiful and that pop of blue on the binding works wonders. What a sweet Ellie Whisperer you have – a treasure!

6. kaholly
    Posted February 14, 2015 at 7:31 am | Permalink

They are both precious!

7. KATHY Dryburgh
    Posted February 14, 2015 at 7:40 am | Permalink

I have a friend who lives in Hood River. She and her sisters often go to the Fabric Depot. I hope to visit her this summer, go there plus Greenbaum’s Quilted Forest in Salem. You have a beautiful baby.

8. Posted February 14, 2015 at 9:06 am | Permalink

What a doll! And what a sweet Mama you have!

9. Posted February 14, 2015 at 9:40 am | Permalink

Grandmas are the best! Beautiful quilt and adorable baby :)

10. Posted February 14, 2015 at 9:49 am | Permalink

Ellie is beautiful! So is the quilt and I totally agree that grandmas are the best.

11. Tamie
    Posted February 14, 2015 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

The quilt and Ellie are beautiful. So fun to have your mom around and to have a calm baby when she left.

12. Posted February 14, 2015 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

Love the colors in that quilt! But the model on top of the quilt is the best part of this post!

13. Chris Hart
    Posted February 17, 2015 at 8:54 am | Permalink

Oh my goodness! Sweet quilt and baby!!

14. Posted February 17, 2015 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

So pretty, all of it! Love that fabric combination.