The Mountains Are Calling and I Must Go // The Great Outdoors

IMG_9253

The mountains are calling and I must go. ~John Muir

I love this shot of my son by my husband–more than anyone, my 8 year old loves being in and exploring nature. I can certainly sympathize with John Muir–the grandeur, wildness, and beauty of the Wasatch Range are something to behold.

Millcreek Canyon

We have spent most of the last three months finding and then fixing up our “new” house (more on that another day) and spending time with family. In a lot of ways, the last three months have felt like a very long vacation, and a work until you drop every night experience, rolled into one.  Salt Lake City Mountains

We have taken a few opportunities (although not as many as we would have liked) to explore a few nearby canyons and trails–my kids more than any of us, thanks to grandparents and my husband.

Snowbird

I thought I would share a few photos of some of the beautiful places nearby–Big Cottonwood Canyon. Snowbird. Little Cottonwood Canyon. Millcreek Canyon. Guardsman Pass. Emigration Canyon. Grandeur Peak Trail (not all pictured, but all explored).

And if you are surprised how green everything is, and doing a double take, yes this is Salt Lake City and not Portland! I think we had more rain last month here than we did in Portland–totally unheard of.

Guardsman Pass

It has been nice to explore.

This entry was posted in Great Outdoors and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted June 19, 2015 at 6:48 am | Permalink

I love your posts. Thanks for sharing!

2. Dawn in the UK
    Posted June 19, 2015 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

I love to read your posts also, seeing those mountains is like a mini-vacation, and such lovely names too – Snowbird and Cottonwood, names as beautiful as the places. Thank you so much for sharing them. Happy hiking x

Posted June 19, 2015 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Thank you! Yes, definitely a great place to recharge.

3. Posted June 19, 2015 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

My son lives in SLC and my daughter in Denver. My husband says that when we retire from our jobs in the Washington DC area, we’ll move out west too. I do love those big mountains!

4. Posted June 22, 2015 at 9:24 am | Permalink

So much beauty! I’m so happy for you and I can’t wait to hear about your new house.

5. Leona
    Posted August 31, 2015 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

Are you still collecting quilts for kids? I would like to send you one

6. kaholly
    Posted October 3, 2015 at 6:48 am | Permalink

How very beautiful! What a wonderful opportunity, esp. for the kids. I’d love to explore this part of the country someday. Thanks so much for sharing your awesome pictures.