Ski Utah // The Great Outdoors

Skialtadiamonddust

Last week at Alta–it was a diamond dust snow day, and just breathtaking. And a balmy 22 degrees at the base, so that was happy.

When we decided to move to Utah, I told my husband I was going to learn to ski. I hate being cold. I don’t love snow. Utah has a lot of both. I thought if I learned to ski, then I might be excited about the snow, and therefore less miserable.

My yard has had snow in it since November 10, so I would say learning to ski was a very smart idea.

skialta

Note that my snow pants are the Kona color of the year, Highlight. My snow pants didn’t fit (thanks, baby. and chocolate), so I bought the cheapest/best quality I could find. Can’t imagine why these sweet Burton pants were on the clearance rack. Ha! My husband says it makes me easy to find.

I took two lessons at the Alta Ski School, and they were fantastic. I highly recommend their beginner adult lessons if you ever find yourself in Utah, don’t know how to ski, and want to learn.

My skis (not necessarily me) are fast, and I took my first tumble last week when my 9 year old and I went on a Saturday ski date. We decided not to take the route marked “easiest way.” I called it a tumble. He called it an epic crash. I guess sliding down a mountain 20 feet on your back might qualify as an epic crash. I was unhurt, he was behind me, and was able to grab my poles. Ha!

fairviewcanyon

Fairview Canyon, New Years Day

Skiing makes me happy. Skiing is getting me in better shape. Skiing makes the snow feel magical.

I really, really, really love to ski. I might not ever make it off of the green routes (but I hear Utah greens are harder than some blues out there, just saying.). My 9 year old prefers going off the groomed path, but I think I’ll stay right here, thank you very much.

Viva winter!

This entry was posted in Great Outdoors and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Kim Piter
    Posted January 15, 2016 at 8:59 am | Permalink

I loved seeing this post! I just started skiing this season and now I can’t get enough of it. It is so beautiful.

Posted January 16, 2016 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

Isn’t it so satisfying to try something new and realize you love it!! happy skiing

2. quiltfairy33
    Posted January 15, 2016 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

All that snow does look magical. Ski forth and conquer!

Posted January 16, 2016 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

This made me smile. I will!

3. Ruthann
    Posted January 15, 2016 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Thank you for the photos and memories. Was in Utah four years ago for 9 days. Skied Alta, Solitude, Brighton, Snow Basin, Deer Valley and Alta some more. I know those runs, that lift and that blue sky after fresh snow. Enjoy!

Posted January 16, 2016 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

Wow, that sounds like a great vacation! I bet you were exhausted by the end.

4. Mary
    Posted January 15, 2016 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

In the winter you’ll have to change. Your name to ski bike quilt! Lol

Posted January 16, 2016 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

I’m becoming a little obsessed… its just so much fun!

5. Karen
    Posted January 16, 2016 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

Yes–embrace the snow! (from a Mainer!)

Posted January 16, 2016 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

It definitely makes me happier when it starts to snow. I’ve always wanted to visit Maine. What a beautiful place!

6. NeverJustJennifer
    Posted January 29, 2016 at 9:12 am | Permalink

I love skiing! There is something so wonderfully freeing about the wind in your ears and the sun shining while you’re alone in your world on the mountain! Good luck and don’t quit! Skiing is a steep learning curve but once you get it, you’ll GET it!

Posted January 29, 2016 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

thank you. a pep talk is ALWAYS welcome!

7. Posted February 5, 2016 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

Oh good job. My hubby spent many ski bum years there;)

Posted February 12, 2016 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

i wish i would have been a ski bum when i lived here in college and could have been!

8. Posted February 13, 2016 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Fun!!!!! I love to ski! I prefer cross country, but I sure have been missing downhill!! I’ve only been to alta once, and had a major crash as we were leaving. It had warmed up a lot at the base but by the time we were done it all froze again. I bugged it right on my face had a nasty cut on my nose. Lol. It’s worth it though! Glad you didn’t get hurt!! And glad you love it!!! I’ll be a forever greenie too, and that’s OK. 😉