Flea Market Fancy Quilts // Works in Progress

fleamarketfancyquilt

Back in the heydays of fabric swapping on Flickr (c. 2008?), Flea Market Fancy (Denyse Schmidt’s first fabric line) was all. the. rage. I remember swapping itty bitty pieces with friends, just to get itty bitty pieces of other fabrics in return. I even bought a horribly made purse on easy (Green Bouquet on the outside, Gray Seeds on the inside) just to cut it up. I had some of every print because I bought a jellyroll (before prices for FMF skyrocketed), and started making a quilt for my bed. It makes me laugh now, but it was important to me then.

Portland Squares Quilt

Embarrassingly, I first blogged about this “quilt for my bed”  [which I’ve named Portland Square] in 2011. Ha! I am happy to say that I finally finished that queen size quilt for my bed and dropped it off with Nicole to be long armed yesterday. That quilt is a hot mess, and since I pressed the seams open, I had to repair quite a few.  While I was at it, I finished this FMF quilt (4” finished squares), gave it to Nicole, and plan to put it at the foot of my bed for a napping quilt. Because every day I dream about a nap. I can’t wait to get the quilts back and put them on my bed! Better late than never.

fleamarketfancypatchwork

I will have a fun announcement on the blog on Monday, so make sure to check back!

This entry was posted in Quilts, Works In Progress and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Sally Heise
    Posted April 27, 2016 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

It is fresh and pretty! What do you mean about pressing the seams open so you had alot to repair? Do you feel they should really go to the side? I have done both and I prefer pressing open.

Posted April 27, 2016 at 11:28 pm | Permalink

Thanks. I should have been more specific. I prefer pressing to the side in most cases, i think seams are less likely to pop. That being said, I don’t think it is usually a problem. This is a quilt that has been a WIP for 5 years. If you plan to do that (ha!), I would press to the side. A number of the seams popped, perhaps from being handled so many times without being quilted, or maybe I used a longer stitch length 5 years ago than I do now, I”m not sure. In most cases, my guess is pressing open is fine.

2. Posted April 27, 2016 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

Those quilt tops are so pretty and fun. On a different note, what is a trackback? Thanks!!

Posted April 27, 2016 at 11:26 pm | Permalink

A trackback is when someone else links to your blog post on their blog, it will show up on your blog post as a “trackback.” and thanks for the quilty love!

3. Posted April 28, 2016 at 10:47 am | Permalink

I’m that way with Lotta Jansdotter fabrics, especially Echo. I love having a quilt on my bed made of these precious fabrics. Your quilt tops are lovely. Has to feel good to have them completed. What are you backing them in???

Posted April 28, 2016 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Thanks–it does feel good to have them completed! And now I want to make one out of my much hoarded Neptune fabric. I backed the smaller one in mostly original FMF, so it is quite soft. The bed quilt is backed with an old AMH voile from Little Folks, and has a very light batting. Hoping it will be a good summer quilt!

• Posted April 28, 2016 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

You have hoarded Neptune? Oh man. Can’t wait to see what you create with that. That line got me hooked on modern fabrics. #usethegoodstuff

Posted May 1, 2016 at 11:38 pm | Permalink

I do. I just can’t stomach selling it at crazy prices but know someone else will if i sell it! I think I’m going to cut it all up! That and FMF got me hooked, too.