Fabric Choices for Summer Sampler 2016 // Color My Quilt

SummerSamplerSwatch_colormyquilt

Have you signed up for the Summer Sampler 2016 yet? You still have a few days to get pre-sale pricing ($19.99 pricing ends Sunday night).

If you have signed up, have you picked your fabric yet? I love choosing fabric, and have wanted to start sharing some of my fabric pulls here with a new category (Color My Quilt, you can click on the categories in the right hand sidebar) and on Instagram with the hashtag #colormyquilt. If you are IG, I would love you to use the hashtag and tag me (@swimbikequilt). Picking fabric is my favorite part of quilting, so I might as well celebrate it since it happens at the very beginning.

summersampler_blueberrypark

I started with some great screen prints from Karen Lewis’ collection, Blueberry Park.

After an initial pull, I always like to add something unexpected. Lately, that seems to be citrus yellow. I went through my fabric and scrap bin and pulled similar colors. SummerSamplerSwatches_colormyquilt

Some of the blocks in this Sampler are a little complicated, so I chose solids and small prints that are either color + white, or color + a darker color in the same hue. summersamplerrainbow2_colormyquilt

Lately, I have started cutting a small swatch of every fabric that I think I might want to use. I arrange the swatches in rainbow order as well as randomly, and edit as I go. I find it easier to do this than to arrange and rearrange fat quarters and scraps. Of course I can add or delete fabrics as I go along, but this helps me see if there is a balance of color, shade, etc.

note: we suggest at least 20 fqs for the quilt along. Obviously more is okay, too :)

summersampler2016_colormyquilt

This entry was posted in Color My Quilt, Summer Sampler Series and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted May 12, 2016 at 11:20 am | Permalink

I am thing of using my stash of grunge. Will check out my colours later today.

• Posted May 12, 2016 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Thinking not thing. Still having my morning coffee, lol.

Posted May 12, 2016 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

that would be pretty. And I’ve been up for hours and my brain is working like yours, I think :) hurray for caffeine.

2. Posted May 12, 2016 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

I’ve been thinking of using Karen’s Blueberry Park also, but only in the cool range. Still deciding upon that or Allison Glass’s indigos. Don’t have either yet!

Posted May 12, 2016 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

You can’t go wrong with either of those!!!

3. happyquiltingmelissa
    Posted May 12, 2016 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Love your fabric pull!!! And that is such a great idea to cut swatches for playing with your fabric choices :)

Posted May 14, 2016 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

thanks, melissa!

4. Kimberly Piter
    Posted May 14, 2016 at 8:13 am | Permalink

Just a quick question! I haven’t done any curved blocks before, would I be over my head with trying these blocks? I have been sewing for a while, just haven’t tried this yet.

Posted May 14, 2016 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

I havne’t sewn many curved blocks… one of the fun things about this sampler is it is meant to be a skill builder–we plan to introduce the easiest curved block first, and work from there. The templates will also provide room for trimming, I think. Curved piecing isn’t difficult, per se, especially if you are methodical about it! I think you should be good!