Haptic Lab Quilt // Works in Progress

Haptic Labs DC Map

Have you heard of Haptic Lab, makers of city map quilts, constellation quilts, DIY quilt kits, kites, and more?

This is my DC City Map DIY quilt, and I just love it. I pull it out every time we go on a road trip, and it has seen a lot of new stitches this summer. I love the idea of having a dedicated hand-sewing project. I keep mine in its own zipper pouch (this vinyl one from the container store is what I keep most of my small WIPs in) with floss, needles, and scissors, I just have to grab it and go.

Do you have a long term hand sewing project?

This entry was posted in Works In Progress and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Rosemaryflower
    Posted August 24, 2016 at 9:16 am | Permalink

This is very interesting and I love the idea. A map of DC is – interesting. I live 35 miles from DC and and we out in the suburbs call it the Cesspool hahahahaha
    I would love to make a map of Rotterdam, The Netherlands. My parents grew up there and met after WW2

Posted August 26, 2016 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

too funny. I lived just outside dc for 10 years and loved it. It looks like Paris and London are the only international cities now, but when I got mine, it was just New York, DC, and SF. So maybe she will expand!

2. Jennifer
    Posted August 24, 2016 at 9:20 am | Permalink

So I have two constellation quilts that I’m in the process of creating from Haptic Lab, but I have an incredibly difficult time stitching on the tear-away stabilizer. Do they use different material for the city map ones? It looks as if it’s just printed right on.

Posted August 26, 2016 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Hi– i’m not sure. I looked at the constellation diy templates, and they look the same as the one I’m using? The template is printed onto the tear away stabilizer. I have noticed it helps if I don’t handle the quilt too much, and if I wait to tear off the stabilizer until I am all done. It is a little tricky, though. Good luck!

3. Posted August 24, 2016 at 9:29 am | Permalink

Oooh! Thanks for the link. I’ve seen Haptic Lab’s constellation quilts (and boy, are they lovely) but I didn’t know they had map kits. I just finished my first sashiko stitching project and I’d love another long term one. This is lovely, Katie!

Posted August 26, 2016 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Thanks! Yeah, I think it is such a fun long term project, you should definitely get one. Now I just need to work on mine!!!

4. Elizabethdee
    Posted August 24, 2016 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Your quilt looks fabulous. Now I want to make one! Can you please tell me, is that a template on the top of your quilt?
    I looked on the Haptic Lab web site and got confused when they said to pin baste the quilt sandwich and then put the template on. Can you just layer the template as part of the “sandwich” and then baste?
    As you can tell, I don’t have much experience. Thanks for any response.

Posted August 26, 2016 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Hi- Thanks so much. I actually have four layers in my quilt sandwich, a backing, batting, solid white fabric, and then the template, which is the pattern printed on tear away stabilizer. So yes, you can just layer the template as part of the sandwich! It looks like Haptic Labs just recommends basting your quilt sandwich and then loosely pinning the template to the top layer. I haven’t had any trouble the way i did mine, though. Its a fun project! http://www.hapticlab.com/pages/diytutorial