New Cutting Table // Favorite Things

Katie Table

A few months ago, I decided it was time to upgrade my cutting table. And by upgrade, I mean time to stop cutting out quilt blocks on the floor, or the dinner table upstairs, or the edge of my sewing table.

This counter height cutting table has been life changing [and I’m only slightly exagerating].  The IKEA DIY table was inexpensive, is adjustable, and I wanted to share the details!

Table Top: Linnmon, white, 59” x 29-1/2”, $29.99. Mine was $10 from the as-is section // Bonus: I couldn’t find any flaws

Table Legs: Olov, $15 each, **and they are adjustable**. I am 5’9”, and I love having a table that is the exact right height

This isn’t the sturdiest cutting table in the world, but I can store my sewing drawers and cart underneath [Ikea Alex on casters, $119.00 and Target Room Essentials Storage Cart, $29.99], and it works well for my needs.

Do you have any sewing room/sewing area things that you just love?

This entry was posted in Favorite Things and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Rosemaryflower
    Posted April 25, 2017 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

Katie, I know exactly how you feel.
    I made an amazing ironing station from two Target book cases (white self assembly 40″)
    and a nice piece of particle board from Home Depot. I have a nice massive table, against the wall opening to the family room so I can watch tv and sit at that table on my 24″ stool if I desire, I also have a comfy step ladder that I sometimes sit on, hand sewing, ironing, etc and watch tv. or just have a view
    I also have a cutting table that is quite inventive, a tv cabinet from my neighbors that down sized (really they had so much stuff) and I put risers on the top and a big piece of very firm wood – cutting table, right behind my ironing station.
    I have a nice set up. lots of storage, and still have stuff ready to use.
    I am so happy you have a good cutting table now. I am tall too. We need to keep our backs in good shape. I heard some business from my doctor about doing sit up and a hundred jumping jacks a day. whatev

Posted April 26, 2017 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

This sounds amazing! love that your ironing station has book cases, too!

2. Posted April 25, 2017 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

I love my IKEA cutting table made out of an IKEA kitchen upper cabinet and a piece of plywood. The storage inside is wonderful and with the cabinet doors I can hide lots! Wheels make it easy to move around the sewing room. The top is plywood covered so I can use it as a large ironing space OR put my large cutting mat on top. The height is SO much better than regular table height! Hooray!

Posted April 26, 2017 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

i wish mine had a cabinet attached. sounds awesome!

3. Posted April 25, 2017 at 9:54 pm | Permalink

I would love to see more pictures of it!

Posted April 26, 2017 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

I need to do a “studio tour.”

4. Posted April 25, 2017 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

You are so clever and it’s great! Thank you so much for sharing. I’m much more spoiled! Like you, I’m pretty tall, I think 5’9 1/2″. About 15 years ago, my parents were visiting from Denmark, around my birthday, and they bought me a cutting table. I got an actual kitchen counter from IKEA, which is kitchen counter height, quite sturdy, and has cabinet shelving and drawers underneath – accessible only from one side, of course, though I have my cutting table in the middle of the room, like an island, so I can cut from all sides of the fabric, when necessary. It’s been so great.
    Recently, I’ve had a tall bookcase type piece of furniture built on which my big ironing board rests. That means there is no wasted space under the ironing surface.

Posted April 26, 2017 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

that sounds amazing! love the idea of having it in the middle of the room.

5. Posted April 26, 2017 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

We managed to find a couple of tables from an old chemistry lab. We refinished them and put 4 x 6′ tops on them (unfortunately the original soapstone tops were long gone). They’re on heavy duty locking casters and just the right height for cutting. I love them, especially since they’re big enough to do some layout work AND cut. They’ve got 4 drawers along each long side, and an underneath cabinet.

Posted April 26, 2017 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

oh, I had tables like that in my high school chemistry lab. Imagine if the original soapstone had been there? regardless, sounds incredible!