Road Trip to Philly to See Denyse Schmidt // Favorite Things

Denyse Schmidt at Philly Modern Quilt Guild last night
[Denyse Schmidt with a few of the quilts from her new book, Modern Quilts, Traditional Inspirations]
Friday at 2:30, Dana, Natalie, and I hopped into Nat’s car and sped towards Philadelphia. We had purchased tickets to a Philly Modern Quilt Guild meeting featuring none other than Denyse Schmidt.  I am happy to announce that although horrendous traffic and flooding rain conspired against us, and we met the queen of modern quilting, all of us kept our cool. Even as I slid down a muddy embankment right outside of the event and had no where to change during the lecture. Good times. But seriously, it was a fabulous 24 hours.
*There is a great article on Denyse Schmidt in the Wall Street Journal if you would like to know more about her, or why we were willing to make a 3 hour drive (that turned into 5) to listen to her speak.
Denyse Schmidt lecture with Philly Modern Quilt Guild
Lights on at the end of the slide show/lecture
She signed my book! #didntgeekout
Signing my book :)
View from our hotel room. Good morning, Philadelphia
The view from our hotel room. Good morning, Philadelphia!
Rittenhouse Square Farmer's Market
Farmer’s Market at Rittenhouse Square
Architecture--18th Street
Nat and I thoroughly enjoyed our walk down 17th & 18th Streets
spool
Our walk ended at Spool, which has an excellent selection of Kaffe Shot Cottons, Free Spirit Solids, and Art Gallery Solids, and some prints sprinkled in. It looks like a great place to take classes.
Reading Terminal, Philadelphia
Reading Terminal–Natalie pulled over while I ran in to get my husband cinnamon rolls from the Amish Beiler’s Bakery. I think he loves me forever after that. And with good reason!
And that’s a wrap!
This entry was posted in Favorite Things, Sewing + Friends and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted June 25, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

I am so laughing at your comment about falling right before you went…that is something that would happen to me and I’d just shrug it off, ’cause what are you going to do? Not meet Denyse Schmidt because your pants are dirty? No Way!

2. Posted June 25, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

Oh, so lovely. I’m glad you were able to make it. I’ve never been to Philly, I’m embarrassed to say. I think I will need to correct that travesty ASAP.

3. Posted June 25, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

It was a great night, wasn’t it? So glad you and your friends made the trip (darn the weather – and the no AC!) Glad you had fun in Philly!

4. Posted June 25, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

Katie – thanks for coming to our event! I’m sorry we couldn’t arrange for better traffic conditions and less rain … I’m glad you enjoyed yourself. Next time you come to Philly, we should arrange for some more activities.

5. Posted June 25, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Wow, what a great opportunity! Sounds like it was well worth the three (five) hour drive.

6. Posted June 25, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

I’m part of the PMQG (I met you at the Denyse Schmidt event) and am so glad you had a good time and found it worth the horrific ride you and your friends had to deal with. Sounds like you enjoyed your mini tour of Philly. We were so happy to have you and your friends join us. We also had 2 people come from Pittsburgh. I think everyone should do the occasional weekend quilting road trip! You’ve put the idea in our heads – now we just have to make plans.

7. Posted June 25, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

You’re making me homesick! I’ve been to these places. This is my old (long ago) home/stomping grounds. Fun place.

8. Jenny
    Posted June 25, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

wow, looks like an amazing trip! what a great opportunity!!

9. Posted June 25, 2012 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

Looks like you had a great trip! Hey, Denyse is a leftie, like me!

10. Posted June 26, 2012 at 1:04 am | Permalink

sounds like so much fun!

11. Anonymous
    Posted June 26, 2012 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

Glad to know I am not the only one willing to travel a long distance for DS!!! I’m taking her Improv workshops in october (in CT) and couldn’t be more excited.

THANKS for sharing,
    Dianne

12. Posted July 1, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

So funny to be reading along on your blog and see the back of my head in your photos! at the Denyse event. I grew up in DC but now live in Philly. Glad you enjoyed the Denyse event. I was lucky enough to take her pure improvisation workshop the day after the lecture. She’s really fabulous. I think I saw you at the event and thought you looked familiar but couldn’t place you – now it all makes sense! I knew your face from your blog!