Meet the Vintage Quilt Revival Quilts: Spiced Chai

SpicedChai VintageQuiltRevival SwimBikeQuilt Meet the Vintage Quilt Revival Quilts: Spiced Chai

I’m so happy to start sharing the quilts from Vintage Quilt Revival!
 Meet the Vintage Quilt Revival Quilts: Spiced Chai

Lee shared her Stardust Quilt this week, and also explained how the book is set up–make sure you check out her post!

Spiced Chai is based on a block called Tea Leaf, similar to a Maple Leaf block but without the stem.  I made a different, more muted version of this quilt for our book proposal–I love how the change in the palette makes such a difference. The proposal itself was pretty intense and included 30+ pages, mock ups of each of the quilts, and a sample pattern from Lee, Faith, and myself.

SpicedChai1 SwimBikeQuilt VintageQuiltRevival 1024x1024 Meet the Vintage Quilt Revival Quilts: Spiced Chai

My husband suggested we photograph that first quilt at one of our favorite places, The National Portrait Gallery and he volunteered to hold up the quilt sans snide remarks. If that isn’t love, I’m not sure what is.

VintageQuiltRevival SpicedChai1 SwimBikeQuilt 682x1024 Meet the Vintage Quilt Revival Quilts: Spiced Chai

As an interesting aside, I bought the Alexander Henry Heath (crosshatch) and Art Gallery gray from a single shop, and then ran out while I was making the quilt and reordered both fabrics from a different shop. Both the prints and the solids were noticeably from two different dye lots! If you look carefully, you can totally tell. This doesn’t particularly matter if you are making a quilt for the couch, but it motivated me to remake Spiced Chai (in brighter colors) for the book. I learned my lesson for future quilts, and made sure to purchase enough fabric the first time for each of my quilts in the book.

SpicedChai FabricPull SwimBikeQuilt 1024x819 Meet the Vintage Quilt Revival Quilts: Spiced Chai

I love the bold pattern and the slightly over sized blocks in this quilt, and had a lot of fun quilting this one with a paisley pattern in the grays and teal, citron, plum, and orange, and a wavy line in the white space. I also used several different grays and a pretty taupe Aurifil thread, which led to lots of tying and burying knots.

VintageQuiltRevival SpicedChaiCloseup SwimBikeQuilt 1024x803 Meet the Vintage Quilt Revival Quilts: Spiced Chai

Thanks for stopping by, and stay tuned for more Vintage Quilt Revival quilts.  Lee will be posting about her quilts on Wednesdays and Faith will be posting about her projects on Fridays. The three of us can’t wait to show you!

Meet the Vintage Quilt Revival Quilts: Spiced Chai

This entry was posted in Patterns, Quilts, Vintage Quilt Revival and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Dana
    Posted November 20, 2013 at 8:03 am | Permalink

You know I never comment but I seriously love this quilt. I’ve been thinking about it since I first saw it. I have a plan….now I need my book!!!!

Posted November 20, 2013 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Your comment made my day. Thanks Dana!

2. Posted November 20, 2013 at 8:45 am | Permalink

I love your quilt, it is such a modern take on the older block. I am looking forward to having a copy of your book.

Posted November 21, 2013 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much Leanne!

3. Tonya A.
    Posted November 20, 2013 at 8:51 am | Permalink

Love both versions :) inspiring :)

Posted November 21, 2013 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

Thanks!! And thanks for stopping by.

4. Posted November 20, 2013 at 11:20 am | Permalink

I love the idea of making modern versions of old treasured quilt blocks and you’ve done such a nice job of capturing that idea with this quilt.

Posted November 21, 2013 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much!

5. Posted November 20, 2013 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

Congrats on the book. Love this quilt!

Posted November 21, 2013 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

thank you! This one is a lot of fun to make (and quick!)

6. Posted November 20, 2013 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

Oh goodness, I love this so much! (In both color palettes!) BTW, I pieced a Marmalade Squares top over the weekend, and I loved making the pattern!

Posted November 21, 2013 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

Thanks for your enthusiasm! It’s been so much fun sharing more of the book. I love your version of Marmalade Squares–as soon as I can remember my wordpress.com login I’m leave a comment!

• Posted November 21, 2013 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

Oh, thanks :-) Thanks for sharing such an awesome pattern.

Here’s hoping my husband notices that I added the new book to my amazon wish list…

7. Posted November 20, 2013 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

Both these quilts are gorgeous! I love the kind of quiet, dark look of the first version, but the colours in the second are so beautiful I couldn’t really pick a favourite between the two. Really lovely.

The colour difference in the dye-lots up top is a bit noticeable, but I just thought you were aiming for a slightly scrappy look – if you hadn’t said anything, I’d have gone on thinking that!

Posted November 21, 2013 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much for your kind words. Yeah, I was pretty shocked at the difference in the dye lots–of course I didn’t pick up on it until I brought it outside into natural light!

8. Posted November 20, 2013 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

I love this one!! I know I’m going to love them all :-)

Posted November 21, 2013 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Thank you Christa! Hope you got your copy…

9. Sue Staum
    Posted November 23, 2013 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

I think this quilt is going to be my favorite!! What could top it??? I love both ways you’ve done it.

10. Posted November 24, 2013 at 12:09 am | Permalink

I love the color palette you have chosen for this quilt

11. Nicole
    Posted January 18, 2014 at 1:33 am | Permalink

This is a really nice block – I’m glad to see it. How big is your quilt though?

12. Sandra
    Posted March 12, 2014 at 10:28 am | Permalink

This pattern and Cut Glass have been shortlisted by Mariner’s Compass Quilt Shop
    in Bath, Maine as their samples for the Maine Quilt Shop Hop for 2014, using P&B Bear Essentials. Can’t wait to go see this quilt. I love this pattern.